Tuesday, October 19, 2010


I used to hike a bootpack up to the top of Glory Bowl on a daily basis. I would get all of my gear together and hitchhike up to the top of the pass. I would usually meet others up there as I hiked but some days I was the only person there. It didn't matter. I was there for myself. I would use good judgement and avoid avalanche conditions but if it was just blowing snow or poor visibility I would still persist. Sometimes I was the first person and I would need to make the bootpack. I had gone so many times it was second nature. I knew where I wanted to end up. It wasn't just about going down for me. It was the challenge of earning the descent. I would rest in the snowcave, drink some water, eat a snack and then make my way back out and clip into my snowboard bindings. I loved the comfort that I had come to associate with what others might consider just exhilaration, which I also felt, exhilaration and comfort. That was worthwhile and valuable and I miss it very much.

No comments: